Just an hour before offices were closing, our local CPS worker called seeking an overnight home for a little boy that had just come in to care and they hadn't yet found relatives for him to stay with. I was tempted to say no, but really, we had an extra seat in our van, an extra booster seat his size, and an extra bed, plus we were the only home in town that could take him, so we agreed to have him for just an evening. Our four boys LOVED him. They all argued over who got to hold his hand while crossing the street, who got to go down the slide with him at a park - it was almost like he was their new toy! He also was the quietest/sneakiest kid I've had. He would just sleek off without me noticing, and suddenly, he was getting into something that the other boys never thought to get in to, or was in a completely different area of the playground. He kept us on our toes! The next morning he was able to return home. It really wasn't that big of a deal having another kid in general, though his wandering off was hard and made me appreciate my 4 boys that will stay close anywhere in public.
I often wonder if these overnight visits will remember us, or if we actually did them any good. I always pray that they can have good feelings of love or some happy memory to hold on to. Even if they don't, I'm grateful for the opportunity to provide them a safe, loving home, if only for an evening. I also feel better knowing that, even if it's inconvenient, I am (working on) doing my part to (try to do) what I've promised the Lord.
Matthew 25:35-36 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
No comments:
Post a Comment