Tonight I cut open our first cantaloupe of the season, and it reminded me of the first one I ate around this time a year ago... CPS had called me asking me if I could help with an emergency placement of a few little kids. My husband was on his way out of town to camp with the youth from church, I had a super clingy baby, the crib that a foster child would need was still not assembled, and bedtime routines with new (usually scared) children would be next to impossible with 4 littles. I knew that the only was I could accept and provide a home for these children needing a loving place would be if I asked for help.
I called up my dear friend that has bailed me out time and time again and asked her to come and help watch my 4 children - with her baby - while I assembled the crib and worked on bedtime routines. Her reply? Absolutely, how soon do you need me, and can I bring you dinner? (Her delicious, healthy dinner included fresh cut cantaloupe...hence the walk down memory lane tonight.) That emergency placement turned out to be a summer-long placement, with two children that I came to love dearly, and I have thanked the Lord many times for the chance to have had them, and like to think that perhaps we helped them a little, in return. It would not have been possible had I not been able to get through that weekend, which required help from that angelic friend of mine.
I don't care much for asking for help. I am a bit independent, and especially I don't like to inconvenience people or ask for more than I can repay. I have had to swallow my pride in foster care as I realize that I cannot do it without asking for help.
The other week, we got a phone call from DFCS asking if we could provide emergency placement for a sibling group of three, ages 3, 10 & 11. We weren't sure if we could accept. We knew that we may need to ask for help if we did. After much prayer, we felt as though we should. Immediately after accepting, I texted two of my dear friends and neighbors to ask for help. There is no clothing store here, and I knew they would need fresh, clean clothes. My friend immediately went to look for some and presented me with two clean, nice outfits for each boy, and would not even accept payment. I don't know what I would have done without her immediate, willing service to us.
The children ended up being a bit younger than they told us over the phone - the youngest was actually a baby on formula! I texted another neighbor to see if she had any, and her response touched me. "No, but can I go to the store [right now] and get some for you?" I didn't even explain why I needed it. She likely knew. That evening when I was unsure about keeping the baby safe in her cradleboard, that same friend came over and gave me a thorough lesson, helped me re-swaddle the baby, and that sweetheart slept through the night! (Cradleboards are amazing, as an side note.)
They were such wonderful children, and the few days that they spent with us brought such rich memories. They (okay, we) were tearful when they left after just a few days to settle into the home in the town where they needed to be, but our hearts were all a little fuller for our time spent together.
All of these beautiful memories, of loving service that I was able to provide to these children, was all possible because of the help from others: friends ~ neighbors ~ angels; people that had made it clear to me that they would be there to help, without grudge, and without expecting something in return (which I honestly can't always give). Thank you, sincerely, for the kindness shown to me by offering your service, but especially, and deeply, thank you for the kindness shown to our heartbroken, precious foster children.
You are an angel to those unfortunate kids that were in need. I think you have and will continue to be blessed for you loving efforts. We love you! Dad and Mom
ReplyDelete