Translate

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Letting Her Go

Social workers are known for being busy; one of my children's caseworkers once told me that she had 52 cases. 52! And most cases have multiple children on them. That means that my little sweetheart represents less than 2% of her cases - not to mention the insane amount of training, investigations, health, their own family, and more, that they have on their plate. I always try to remember this and be patient with poor communication, etc. When a poor choice is made, I don't hold it against the caseworker personally, but it does make me sad (I'll admit, sometimes angry, too) when it negatively impacts an already severely traumatized child.

We recently found that our sweet foster daughter would be going to live with a relative permanently. It was very sudden and unexpected for both her and us. But, we are trying to be optimistic as we squeeze in those last few things with her (things we told her that we would do "sometime" really have to be done "now") and as we prepare her for, yet another, life change. I would lie if I said I didn't shed many, many tears, although I (mostly) manage to hold it together in front of her.

I can't share much on a public forum such as a blog, but as I look back and consider her time spent with us (and ours with her), and the influences that we've both had on each other, I cannot help but feel grateful for the chance that we've had too have her this past school year. She is an incredible girl, and I pray that she will work towards her high dreams and remember how amazing she truly is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment