Translate

Monday, February 25, 2013

Beginning explanations: A Heartbeat and a Subchorionic Hemorrhage

I have never had the problem of a receptionist unwilling to make an appointment in early pregnancy when I have been bleeding (which has happened 4 times before), but for some reason this pregnancy the receptionist for my nurse midwife would say "If it's an emergency, go to the ER, but otherwise there's just nothing we can do before 9 weeks, so that's when we make an appointment." I tried with several phone calls, and got the same answer. It was very frustrating. Then, with a lot of prayer and a new attitude, I called again and was able to convince the receptionist that answered to make me an appointment sooner! And it was with my very favorite medical practitioner ever: Cynthia Miller, CNM!

I have been spotting and, especially with my history, was nervous. I should have been at seven weeks, but would they see another empty sac? Or nothing? Or a child that had stopped growing? The moment Cynthia entered the room, I felt at ease, and loved by her. She is competent and wonderful. She talked with me a bit and then gave me an ultrasound. She always tells me what she sees on the ultrasound screen, but this time wasn't sure and went to get the ultrasound tech to help. Together, they identified a beautiful little heartbeat that measured just barely over 6 weeks. It was gorgeous, and such a sigh of relief. None of the pregnancies that I've lost had an identifiable heartbeat. They also saw a very large subchorionic hemorrhage, which explains the spotting that I've been having. (This link has pretty good information on what that means.) It is about 5-10 times bigger then the baby, making it a potentially dangerous situation, but I'm continuing to take it as easy as I can. My poor husband is left to pick up my slack, and my angelic mother-in-law drives two hours (each way) once a week to come help out, too. Have I mentioned how very blessed I am?

So, the conclusion is that, in reality, I still could loose this pregnancy. BUT, there is a 90% change that I won't - and those are wonderful odds to me after what I've been through!

Thank you, very sincerely, for all of the prayers and support. It really does help, and I appreciate such great love. Whatever the outcome, I know that God is surely watching over me.

1 comment:

  1. I have been following silently reading what you write and I can't lie when I say I breathed a slight sigh of relief for you reading this. You're such a strong woman with a huge heart. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete