They still needed medical clearance from the clinic and paperwork with the police, so I had enough time to set up their beds, make boxed Mac n cheese, and transfer my bio boys to our room. (I always have them sleep in our room with new foster kids, and the foster kids take their room.)
When those two sweethearts came, they wasted no time in finding the toys and playing their hearts out. I had them wash their hands then eat, and as most fosters do, they got super excited with the meal choice. The oldest exclaimed "My mom makes this!" :-) They ate as fast as they could and got back to playing. I asked if they liked bubbles in their bath, and the oldest's eyes lit up as have have me one of many, many smiles. So I made a huge bubble bath, and he happily climbed in and got busy washing himself. The youngest (3yr?) threw a huge fit and REFUSED to bathe. Since he only came wearing a tshirt and a diaper, he was very dirty, and it was very late. Not knowing what to do, I held him while he screamed and at least checked got lice (none) and wiped the dirt off his arms, legs and feet, and guessed that he'd be good enough. I honestly don't know what the best solution would have been. I'm finding this not knowing happens to me a lot in motherhood!
I got some pajamas ready for them, and while they fit the younger fine, they were quite the squeeze for the oldest, but they were the biggest I had and I really needed to wash the clothes he came with while he slept. Several of his million dollar smiles, he assured me that they were great, and although small they didn't hurt him at all, and he'd be fine for the night. He told me that they were just like the pjs he usually wears, only his are pink...and then for the first time he lost his smile for a few seconds. I think we were both wondering the same thing: Would he ever have those favorite pjs again? (It's not loving kids and then allowing them to move on to kinship care that most breaks my heart in foster care. It's moments like these. But if I'm not there for them, where else will they go?)
It took some convincing of younger brother to go to bed; we shut off all the lights very where except the bedroom, which had stuffed animals, a light up ball, and a night light, and told him the toys were asleep but he could sleep with the animals and one car. That worked. Both boys slept solid through the night (I wish my bio baby had! ;) and the next morning I took big brother to school and played with little brother until CPS came at around 11am, since I told them I needed to get ready for my work (preschool tutoring) at around 11:30. In the time that I had the boys, she was able to find a family member to care for the entire sibling set long term, so I said my goodbyes, and sent them off with a few more weather appropriate clothes, with a wooden truck made by kind retired people in Colorado, and with a little piece of my heart.
16 hours in my care, and now there are 2 more boys that I love, care about, and pray for.
No comments:
Post a Comment