Have you ever been in a situation where you see or hear of a
sweet child in a poor home situation that they don’t deserve, and wished with
all your heart that, if even for a moment, you could take that child into your
home, give them warmth and love, and let them know how wonderful they are?
Where you know you can’t do everything for them, but you would like to at least
do something?
I have had that desire for a while. And our family got the
opportunity to do so last week! We got our first foster care placement of a
very young, very large sibling group that stayed just a couple of nights while
a long-term placement was being set up for them. They all wanted a lot of hugs,
attention, and a safe place, and we gave it to them. The oldest sibling and I
were able to have a few conversations where I reminded her that she is a
wonderful person, that we all make mistakes and that’s okay, but when we (she) say(s)
sorry and move on we (she) can keep doing good things, to match the good person
that she is. It was a wonderful experience and is such a simple way to do a
little bit of good in this world. Plus, if we had not been able to open our
home to those children, they would have had to travel to a group shelter for
those nights. What a small way to help in the world. Also, D. LOVED having so
many playmates his age, and he LOVED eating the foods that I thought the kids
would be most comfortable with: pizza, boxed mac and cheese, hot dogs, etc.
(Thank you, by the way, for those of you that gave input on what to keep
stocked up. The mac and cheese was the biggest hit, as children got very
excited to see a meal that they often had at home.) When the kids left, the
house seemed so quiet and after walking around aimlessly D. said “I want someone
to come to our house.” “More foster kids?” I guessed. “Yes!” he exclaimed. Ah.
It made me happy to know that he enjoyed it too, since it really is our entire
family involved in the care.
![]() |
| A picture that our foster daughter drew of our family |
While I will probably always - always - wish I could do more, I recognize that I can't do everything. (For example, there is no way that I would have been able to care for these children long term.) I am, however, grateful for the chance that we have to provide foster care, even in small and simple ways, to these beautiful children that deserve to know that they are loved, that they are good, and that they are of great worth! All three of us hope to provide care at least a few more times before our little miracle comes in May, and we are hoping that once the new baby settles into our lives, we will be able to begin providing care again. It will be work, but I see the results greatly blessing both foster children and our children. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment