Around 1% of women experience recurrent miscarriages. Of those women that choose to undergo testing for a diagnosis, about 50% (or 0.5% of women) will never find an explanation for this deep loss. I am part of that 0.5%.
In blogging, it's difficult to know how much details to share and
how much to keep to yourself. It is extremely difficult to blog about something
so sensitive and with so many details that people may not care to know. I have
chosen to blog about my recovery from my last miscarriage because I do hope
that, perhaps, it can help people struggling with the same problem, or people
who want to understand what it might be like. If it has more detail than you
are comfortable with, you are welcome to choose to not read the rest of this
post.
This last miscarriage was my hardest for several reasons. It
was the healthiest of all the pregnancies that we’ve lost. First, it was
difficult emotionally. We saw the baby, its heartbeat, and already loved it
when we heard that it was no longer living. I had shared the news publicly
(mostly through this blog) and needed to try to find words to express our deep
loss when I didn’t even know how to or necessarily want to share it with my
husband.
Second, it was difficult physically. Although it was my
fourth miscarriage, it was the first time that I had a D&C rather than the
long wait for the natural miscarriage. The surgery itself went well, and my
angelic mother-in-law drove 2 hours to stay with our son so my husband could
accompany me to the hospital. She then welcomed my son and I to her house the
week after (Spring break) so she could care for us while my husband worked on
his thesis. I had very little bleeding and was able to walk with my son to the
park, the petting zoo, and many other things. Then, once Spring break was over,
I began to have heavy bleeding and very, very large clots. The doctor did an
ultrasound and wasn’t too concerned, but it continued for three more weeks!
And it might help to mention that during these three weeks, I had comprehensive
MA exams, final projects, and many other responsibilities. The blood would
randomly come with a large clot and there were times that I dreaded having to
leave the house to go to school because I didn’t want to face having to clean
up in a public bathroom, as I had to several times at school.
The thing is, with tragedies like this, life must go on. I could
not cancel the classes I was teaching, I was too close to graduating to just
drop out from those I was taking (and finishing later would have been even harder!), and I still had a precious
son to care for, and a husband who was in work and in school. To say we were
overwhelmed might not describe it accurately. To say that was the hardest
semester of the hardest three years of our lives might begin to do so. I also
had outgrown all my clothes, looked and felt post-partum, but had no sweet baby
to ease those pains.
But even more than the physical, mental, and academic
hardships were the emotional ones. We loved and wanted that child. We know that
he or she is now an angel being cared for by the Lord, but we still yearn for
children to raise in this life, for those younger siblings for our sweet living
child. And while we have faith that we will have such blessings, we still do
not know when they will happen and how many more miscarriages we will need to
suffer beforehand.
I honestly don’t know if I will blog about future
pregnancies early on or not, because of how difficult this has been. It took me
several months just to be able to describe my recovery; I was only able to write about it after most of the healing and pain had taken place. The only motivating
force behind it would, again, be to possibly help other women facing recurrent or
those who would like to understand a loved one with similar struggles.
I do still stand convinced that the Lord loves me, that He
loves us, and that He will help us through our deepest, darkest trials if we
put our faith in Him.
thank you for your strength in writing this. Even in your trials you reach out to others and I pray you find the peace that eventually comes after a loss. I wish I could offer you peace, but I know there is nothing to be said to ease the heartache. I love you and as always, you are in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteYou're in my thoughts and prayers! Love ya!
ReplyDelete